More and more drivers are switching to electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles and businesses are paying attention. To meet the growing demand for electric vehicle charging, businesses are stepping up. Not only can installing EV chargers help meet the needs of existing customers, but it can also attract new ones to the business.
Customers can charge their EVs while they run errands, dine, or shop. Installing electric vehicle charging stations also allows businesses to show they support the environment and technological advances, two additional things that can draw consumers in.
Let’s take a look at some additional benefits businesses see by offering electric vehicle charging, and their installation strategies.
Benefits of Offering Electric Vehicle Charging
Here’s a look at some of the competitive advantages businesses see when they offer electric vehicle charging.
- EV charging stations can attract customers who either own or are considering purchasing a hybrid or electric vehicle. The presence of charging stations can help them choose your business over a competitor.
- Customers tend to stay longer at businesses with EV charging stations. While they wait for their batteries to charge, they typically spend the time in your business. This increases the chances of consumers spending more money as they wait.
- Businesses can boost their brand image by offering EV charging. The charging stations show the business is forward-thinking and environmentally conscious.
- When your business is one of the first to offer EV charging it gives you a competitive advantage over similar companies, especially since consumers are often loyal to one brand.
- You can use EV chargers to create a new revenue stream. Combined with financial incentives, the added revenue can help cover purchasing and installation costs associated with the charging stations.
A Look at Various Electric Vehicle Charging Station Strategies
Large retailers are recognizing the importance of supporting EV adoption and providing reliable charging for their customers, staff, and the community.
Along with attracting new customers and retaining existing ones, EV charging also has environmental benefits that can differentiate your company from others. The chargers indicate you are socially responsible, and this is something consumers frequently look for in brands they support.
Here’s a look at some of the big-name retailer and their EV charging strategies.
- Target has electric vehicle charging stations at several US stores and offers free charging to its customers.
- IKEA is following a similar strategy as Target and the international retailer is making sustainability and reducing its carbon footprint priorities. Charging is free to customers and the stations are open during store hours.
- Whole Foods Market is using EV chargers to attract new customers and provide a convenient service for the surrounding communities.
- Walmart is installing EV charging stations in stores across the US as part of its commitment to reducing the company’s carbon footprint and supporting clean energy initiatives. Walmart is partnering with network providers to make charging easier and more convenient for customers.
- Kohl’s is stepping out ahead of the competition by installing EV chargers at stores across the US. Some stores offer free charging to customers, but it varies by location.
Who Drives Electric Vehicles
A 2020 survey by BloomberyNEF surveyed EV owners and found several common characteristics between drivers. Most EV owners have annual medium incomes of around $100,000. This is higher than the national average of around $68,703. EV owners are more likely to be college-educated and typically live in urban or suburban areas.
The Value of EV Drivers for Retailers
If you are wondering if EV drivers have value for your business, the answer is yes. Electric vehicle owners often have higher incomes and levels of education, making them appealing to companies selling high-end services and products. These consumers are more likely to visit businesses offering electric vehicle charging, and the increase in traffic almost always results in higher sales.
Financially, it makes sense for businesses to offer electric vehicle charging at their locations.
Ready To Implement Your Electric Vehicle Charging Strategy
Now that you know the benefits of offering EV charging to your customers, are you ready to get started? Apogee Charging Solutions can help you create an EV charging strategy that benefits your business. Contact us today to learn more about what we can do for you. Call 484-816-2076, email [email protected], or schedule a call that fits your need by clicking the button below.