Embarking on the electrification journey for your commercial fleet can be a transformative endeavor, paving the way for sustainability and green practices. Although challenges abound, gleaning insights from industry leaders who have navigated this path can be invaluable. Let’s explore the lessons learned and tips to super charge your fleet electrification process.
Setting the Stage: The Current Landscape
As of 2021, a mere 1% of the world’s commercial fleets have transitioned to Electric Vehicles (EVs), according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance. However, this statistic shouldn’t deter you; instead, let it serve as inspiration, for even industry giants like Amazon, FedEx, IKEA, Walmart, and Genentech have set ambitious goals to electrify most or all of their commercial fleets.
Learning from the Pioneers: 10 Lessons for Fleet Electrification
- Patience Pays Off:Understand that fleet electrification is a gradual process, taking several years to complete. Factors like vehicle procurement, charging infrastructure setup, and financing necessitate a strategic, multi-year approach.
If your organization is considering fleet electrification, a good place to start is understanding the EV charging infrastructure process. There are many factors you need to take into consideration. But you are in luck. We have an entire blog feed dedicated to the EV charging Infrastructure!
- Commence Now for Future Success: Given the intricate nature of the electrification process, starting early is paramount. Delays in service connections, vehicle supplies, and slow approval times can be mitigated by initiating the project promptly.
- Driver Engagement is Crucial: Involve your drivers early and consistently. Their insights are invaluable in determining factors like safe charging locations and understanding the practicalities of the EV experience. Regular feedback sessions can keep communication flowing.
- Collaboration is Key: Seamless collaboration among various teams, including those handling buildings, site planning, energy, financing, budget, taxes, and sustainability, is essential. Aligning these aspects ensures a harmonious transition.
- Purposeful Pilot Plans: Utilize pilot projects as testing grounds for the viability of your fleet electrification strategy. Ensure that the goals of your pilot plan align with the broader objectives of your electrification project.
- Tap into Incentives: Explore available financial incentives for commercial fleet electrification projects. Programs like California’s HVIP offer funds for electric trucks and buses, while the Biden administration has pledged substantial support for charging projects and electric transit programs.
With Apogee Charging Solutions, you will find a partner to assist you in your fleet electrification process, including incentive and rebate recovery services. If your organization is interested in discussing EV charger incentives and rebates, contact our affiliated organization Incentive Rebate360 for more information.
- Due Diligence on Vendors: Exercise caution in selecting suppliers. Opt for vendors with global universal standards to ensure the smooth progress of your project. Not all suppliers can deliver as promised.
- Future-Proof Your Infrastructure: Anticipate technological advancements by planning for the future. Consider upgrading your electrical infrastructure so that you can accommodate more chargers than currently needed, saving costs in the long run.
- Understand Design Requirements: Tailor your charging site to accommodate the diverse needs of your commercial fleet, ranging from small cars to semi-trucks. Involve all stakeholders to ensure seamless operations for all involved.
- Enjoy the Journey with the Right Partner: Collaborate with a reliable charging partner like Apogee Charging Solutions to navigate the complexities of fleet electrification. Working together ensures a smoother journey toward reaping the benefits.
Your Fleet, Your Future, With Apogee Charging Solutions
As you embark on the electrification journey, remember that challenges are opportunities in disguise. Leverage the lessons learned by industry leaders and chart a course that aligns with your sustainability goals. Contact Apogee Charging Solutions to explore how we can be your trusted partner in this electrifying journey. Your fleet’s future begins now. Call 484-816-2076, email [email protected], or schedule a call this fits your needs by clicking the button below.